Thursday 10 November 2011

Post #2

I guess it's been about a week since the last post. "time flies"' and all that...

Had a great few days in Sydney. A great city. Got a ticket to see an opera (Don Giovanni) at the Opera House last Saturday. Almost as spectacular as the performance was the interval; a cold glass of sauvignon Blanc outside on the terrace with the triple vista of the harbour, the city and the Opera House all beautifully lit. Amazing.

I left Sydney on Tuesday morning in a rental car. Having paid for a Hyundai Getz I ended up in a Holden "Epica"... Nice car but not that Epic! (although probably more epic than a Getz). And so armed with the obligatory cheese-based snack for the journey I headed to the Blue Mountains.






I've been here since and have had 3 days of spectacular views, exploring and 'bush walks'. Tomorrow I head back to Sydney to meet up with Keeley Pope (uni friend of P's) before getting the train down to Canberra.

The "Blueys" really are beautiful and I've loved being up here, not least my 6 hour bush walk yesterday from Govett's Leap down into the Gum Tree Forest. It was described as 'difficult' which I assumed was because of the time taken. How wrong I was; one of the hardest walks I have done but completely worth it.

View from the start of the walk...





1 hour down, down, down...





Another hour





And finally at the canyon floor






A small guest for lunch down there





And I can leave to your imagination what the climb back up and out was like. It was 30 degrees with the humidity of a sauna.

On the topic of weather: it was an uncomfortable 37 in Sydney when I left and we'd had the hottest November night (26) In 44 years!

That's it for now. I'm finally beginning to think like a traveller and not a tourist (not to mention addressing my diet) so I'm off to make my supper in the YHA kitchen rather than spending 50 dollars in a restaurant.

Over and out


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad



Location:Katoomba, Blue Mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment