Monday 26 March 2012

Sunset

I had a 'holiday' in Hervey Bay and whilst the weather there was decidedly mixed, it was a whole lot better than "up north". In fact it proved to be exactly the right decision as the monsoonal trough sat over the northern Queensland coast for a week and made the regular news bulletins daily. Flooding, road closures and reports of 700-900mm of rain in a week! I discovered a number of others were in Hervey Bay doing exactly the same thing... Sitting it out.

I came through Rockhampton last night, affectionately known as "Rocky"... More "Rocky Horror Show" if you ask me but I was told (twice) that I was lucky as the rains from further north are due to hit their river tomorrow with widespread flooding expected and roads in/out cut off. Rocky is a major town and that would have necessitated a big diversion!

I'm back in Airlie Beach, just for the night. I will remember this place for the English and German 'youth' lying on the beach in uncomfortable-looking starfish shapes, desperate to ensure no part of their bodies are safe from sunburn... The 'red' colour they achieve would put a Space-Shuttle-Heat Shield-Tile-on-Reentry to shame!

Anyway, enough of all that. Back to Hervey Bay which is one of the few places on the east coast where you can see the sun set over the ocean.

Around 5:30...




The day had been one of the rare cloudless days of that week but just as the the sun drifted down the sky was suddenly freckled with these little ones.

Man fishing for whiting; dog barking...




Five minutes later; people enjoying the last rays...




A couple more minutes...




Nearly gone...




Gone (6:00)...




Nice!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Airlie Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment