Friday 24 February 2012

Post #23 The Turn for Home (The last photo is a spider if anyone has issues!)

Last week was five days spent back in Sydney. I arrived from NZ late on Monday and hadn't planned to spend so long back there but it was sunny and it was Keeley's birthday on the Thursday. I didn't do too much (which was nice) other than 'hanging out', watching the Australian Surf Open on Manley Beach which was far too cool an event for me but fun anyway and then Keeley's birthday drinks in Manley on the Thursday night: met lots of her pals there and had a good time. Ali Pignon was there too which was a surprise and lovely to see her (for those who know her!).




... The comings and goings of the Circular Quay ferries. And an alternative view of the bridge...




So the plan for this final leg is to explore the east coast, heading north from Sydney to Cairns and beyond. With that in mind I was going to rent this for six weeks:




But after much deliberation I just wasn't happy with some of the internal fixtures and fittings... So Ikea! I decided therefore to head a little upmarket and opted to live here for the next six weeks...





Much more like it!

The bottom end of the camper rental market is dominated by Spaceships, Wicked & Jucy; with names like that, potentially aimed at an age group a little south of mine? Regardless, this costs me 50Ausd per day and is (generally) fine. (on that note: the exchange rate when I arrived was 60p/dollar and now it's 69p/dollar!). The USP for Spaceships is this little canvass 'bubble' that can be attached to the tailgate to give more room and a slightly reduced sense of claustrophobia at night!




I have my suspicions that the suspension struts are filled with blancmange and, in addition, the steering is a little 'vague' (although there's nothing vague about it's inability to go around roundabouts above walking pace) but with these limitations borne in mind, it is, in fact, perfectly adequate. Actually, that's a very good word for it... Adequate!

So, a week ago, I headed north along the east coast. The contrast with the west-coast road trip was immediately apparent. There I would barely see another car in a day and would travel through vast areas of 'nothing' whereas here I immediately got stuck in a traffic jam heading out of Sydney and, so far, have been on much busier highways and in much busier towns. First I stopped at Port Stephen's (Nelson Bay, Shoal Bay & Anna Bay) which was beautiful but packed with Sydney-siders on hols. I camped near the beach and the next morning had breakfast wondering why it was so popular...




Deciding this was too busy (don't be fooled by the 7am photo!), I headed 80km north to Seal Rocks which had been recommended by somebody along the way. What a great spot! I ended up spending 3 days there...




A campsite, a small store, a cafe and no phone signal: perfect! I'm beginning to realise that many of the places I like the most are normally down a dead-end road and have no phone signal!




Dragging myself away, I am now in South West Rocks, a seaside village of equal beauty and whilst a bit busier still very charming...




I've been here 4 days now (long enough it would seem to be invited to a house-warming party!) and am enjoying just relaxing in a few places and living the "beach-bum" life for a while. The van is full of sand and smells of prawns and sand worms (fishing bait)... But it's home!




This is the current location! A secluded bay just out of town. This morning was a typical Aussie vacation morning... Woke at the beach, stood waist-deep in surf fishing, caught some Whiting and Dart, cooked said fish on the beach for lunch and shared them with a local surfer-dude who supplied the 'cold ones'. Perfect. It's currently around 28-30 and I can't tell you how much easier that temperature is to travel in compared to the heat/humidity in WA. Bliss...




... Still strange creatures!

Other than that... I'd thought I left the menace of sand flys behind in NZ but it lives on, here, in NSW! A small swarm must have followed me in to the van last night and subsequently my back has the topography of the Alps but each mountain is, in fact, a little volcano of histamine. Great! They really are insufferable buggers!

Also, I'm seriously considering missing out Uluru. To come to Australia and not see it feels criminal but, right now, it feels akin to travelling to the moon to look at a piece of cheese. It's a huge detour, not en route to anywhere useful and bloomin' expensive! Who knows...

Finally, a Huntsman trying to hitch a ride! (painful bite apparently; not venomous!). Big fella: I still don't like spiders...





So, must try to sleep as I'm on the move from 5am tomorrow to meet a guy who, hopefully, will paddle me around his 200 acre wetland 'back yard' on a canoe to see the "incredible" wildlife there... I'm hoping to see Ospreys amongst other things.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:South West Rocks, NSW

No comments:

Post a Comment